Life as a Fish

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Random Beach Day

On Saturday I was invited out for the day by a random family from the church YWAM rent office space and lecture rooms from... it had come about because we had been talking about how it's been a bit of a bubble here and I hadn't actually meet that many Aussies while I have been here. So the very generous offer was extended to me to join them and 2 other families for a beach trip to have a genuine Aussie family experience on the Sunshine Coast.

So I was picked up at 8 in the morning and we set off about an hour north to this spectacular beach only accessible by 4 wheel drives. It was reminisent of Fraser Island, with less devil horse flies (this time we used the wonders of insect repellent), and a beautiful clear blue day.

It was quite awkward, I'm not gonna lie. There were a young married couple my age but they had just been through quite a hard time and so were pretty subdued and kept themselves to themselves... next down were 2 teenage girls who DEFINITELY didn't want to be there on a "famiy" day (far too cool!!) and then there were about 6 boys under 12 yrs, who obviously didn't have much to say to me!!

Despite this, I had a really nice day. I was quiet and the adults definitely picked up on this, but it was no reflection on how I felt about the day, I just needed to have some time where I could just sit and be looked after in a different space to my house!! I also really appreciated spending time around families again, and conversing with older adults which is not something we get much opportunity for here! A lovely time of refreshment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home