Life as a Fish

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

... and Diamond Dust

Over the week we spent time looking at the gifts of the Spirit, and praying into and for those that we either thought we had or those we desired to have! Across the 30 odd students on the course there is a wide range of experience with this kind of thing. It was an amazing privilege to pray for my roommate and watch her receive the gift of tongues!! And an even bigger surprise to find that I was given an interpretation of a tongue spoken corporately one night, when I have never desired that gift at all. Random, but ok!! Whatever God has for me, bring it on! I don’t want to miss out ;)

I can be a bit sceptical about the more bizarre manifestations of the Holy Spirit, probably because I don’t have much experience of them and tend to be more suspicious of the unknown and untested. But since when is God completely known and testable?! So when they first start talking about diamond dust, my initial reaction is, hmmmm… not sure. But as soon as people started praying for those who didn’t have it to receive it, I figured why not? If it’s not of God then it won’t be a big deal, but if it IS then I don’t want to miss out! A post-prayer inspection of my palms did indeed reveal specks of glitter on my skin where there had been none previously. Apparently it’s a sign of anointing, a gift from God to His church, a manifestation of the presence of the Holy Spirit… I’m not sure what it is but I do believe it is from God and it’s kinda cool – pretty sparkly fingers!! I find a great encouragement from it, especially when I notice it during the day when I might be more distracted with other things going on. I’m not sure we are supposed to have all the answers, and I think that retaining and celebrating some of the mystery that surrounds God is an important thing. For me, at this moment, the diamond dust shows me how I can’t figure God out, how creative He is, and how generous – I only asked once, and I got it. So it helps me with all those other things I have to ask many times for, it helps me remember that God hasn’t forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home